In 2015 the ‘refugee crisis’ has affected many individuals who have been forced to leave their home and undertake long and dangerous journeys. Their crisis was accompanied by amazing acts of kindness by communities and individuals across the UK and Europe. Inspired by this generosity, the theme of this year’s competition will be ‘Welcome’ and we invite young writers of London to respond creatively to this concept through screenwriting, poetry, flash fiction or short story.
Winners will be announced on the 6th of March and awarded at the Rewrite Annual Celebration at Ovalhouse on Saturday 19th of March where winners can choose to perform their work or for it to be performed by a professional actor.
We hope this writing will encourage and inspire communities and individuals to extend the hand of friendship to newly arrived young people.
To submit, please download an application form and email with anonymous submission to Hannah at [email protected].
Please read the competition rules & guidelines. For more information, please contact Hannah at Rewrite on 07575 743103 or email Hannah.
Competition Rules & Guidelines.
1. Entries are free
2. Entries can be from individuals or groups.
3. Entrants must be aged between 11 to 18 and be residents of inner or greater London.
4.Only entries submitted in paper form, or via email will be acceptable. You can submit as many entries as you like, but each should have a separate entry form.
5. Entries should be accompanied by an entry form (attached). The entrants name or details must not appear anywhere on the piece itself.
6. Entries must be submitted by 26th of February 2016.
7. Winners will be notified by 6th of March and will invited to attend the performance of their writing at the Rewrite Annual Celebration event at Ovalhouse Theatre on Saturday the 19th March 2016.
8. Entries must be no more than 7 minutes in length (roughly 14 pages long or less).
9. Please note, we are unable to return submissions.
10. By entering the competition, you grant the right for Rewrite to produce your entry in a rehearsed reading on 19th of March 2016. After this, Rewrite will have to seek your permission to produce your work.
11. This competition is not open to any Rewrite staff or children of Rewrite staff.
12. Rewrite reserve the right not to select winners if it is deemed there is no winning entry.
13. Rewrite reserves the right to alter the nature of the prize.